Aug 18, 2026

Napoleonic British infantry test models

I received a free sprue of Napoleonic British infantry from my recent Warlord Games purchase, which served as a good change of pace. Unfortunately, these were for Waterloo and not the Peninsular War, which was my main interest in the Napoleonic Wars besides Napoleon's 1812 campaign in Russia. But I had to make do with it, especially since it was free after all (shoutout to WG for their freebies and great customer service).

The main issue preventing me from comfortably using them for Spain was their headwear. The Belgic shako which they are wearing are indicative of Waterloo. But from some online research, the Belgic shako was present in Spain, albeit in miniscule numbers and only in the final stages of the conflict. Since it was only 5 infantry on the sprue, I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I did add them to an eventual British force for the Peninsular War. 

These are the test models I painted up:


I mostly used Vallejo and AK acrylics, along with Nuln Oil and Reikland Fleshshade for the washes. They were not as bad as I thought to paint considering the colourful nature of Napoleonic uniforms. The white straps were tough though, needing a few coats to get good coverage. I tried adding some glazes of flat earth to the uniform to make them look more dirty, but it did come off a little poopy. Basing was done with Geek Gaming Scenics' Mediterranean Soil, which would probably work for terrain in the Iberian Peninsula. Overall, I was still pleased with my first Napoleonics, and I especially like the look of the trooper with a head wound. I already have 2 boxes of Warlord's French infantry that I bought some time back, but have not started on them because I wasn't confident of getting into Napoleonics. But this free sprue of British infantry has given me a chance to try painting Napoleonics without starting on my French. I'll probably update this post with the full sprue's worth painted once I get around to doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Napoleonic British infantry test models

I received a free sprue of Napoleonic British infantry from my recent Warlord Games purchase, which served as a good change of pace. Unfortu...